Research Insighter Series Explores New Consumer Insights Nomenclature
By Marc Dresner, IIR USA
When Jennifer Nelson returns to Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health Care from maternity leave later this year, it will be in a new role as leader of Global Strategic Insights (GSI) for J&J’s skin product portfolio and baby businesses.
And she plans to make a few changes.
“We in marketing research are probably our own worst enemy on a variety of fronts. But in particular, in how we communicate about our own craft,” Nelson told The Research Insighter.
“To be relevant, you need to stop talking about what you do in terms of methods,” she said. “It’s really time we take control of this discourse and own our own identity as a function by framing what we do in the full context of business need.”
In this exclusive podcast interview for The Research Insighter, Nelson outlines her blueprint for reframing the research conversation at J&J via a framework of categories and subcategories.
Change is never easy, especially in a conservative field like research.
So Nelson is also interested in raising a new generation of researchers—perhaps with unconventional backgrounds, like engineering or business—who aren’t afraid to break the rules.
Listen to the interview here.
Read the transcript here.
Author’s note: Jennifer Nelson will be speaking at The Market Research Event in a session titled “Instigating Marketing Transformation Through Marketing Research Innovation.” Download the program here to find out more about her presentation and the rest of the agenda.
For information or to register for The Market Research Event 2011, taking place November 7-9 in Orlando, Florida, please visit TheMarketResearchEvent.com.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR/INTERVIEWER
Marc Dresner is an IIR USA communication lead with a background in trade journalism and marketing. He is the former executive editor of Research Business Report, a confidential newsletter for the marketing research and consumer insights industry. He may be reached at email@example.com. Follow him @mdrezz.
Search This Blog
- ► 2014 (197)
- ► 2013 (208)
- ► 2012 (190)
- Communicating Research "ROI"
- TDI3: Technology Driven Intelligence, Insights & I...
- Why Your Idea is Worth Nothing, and How to Create ...
- TMRE Keynote Spotlight:The Global Consumer
- Colors of cars, what do they tell you?
- TMRE Awards Offer Research Innovation Barometer
- TMRE Keynote Spotlight: The Trend Report: Clusters...
- How Neuromarketing is Revolutionizing the Market R...
- Social Media and Communities
- Diaries - the right method for the right purpose
- Is neuromarketing more precise than focus groups?
- TMRE Keynote Spotlight: The Predictioneer’s Game
- Awards Showcase Research Industry Innovation
- Brand research in social web - what about B2C2C co...
- TMRE Keynote Spotlight: Market Research In An "I'l...
- J&J Global Strategic Insights Director Reimagines ...
- No insight without context!
- 21st Century Innovation Inputs And Validation
- ▼ August 2011 (18)
- ► 2010 (169)
- ► 2009 (212)