Stephen suggested there are six meta types of consumers (based on a driving metaphor):
2) Engineers (plan methodically),
3) Lonely Travelers (feel handcuffed),
4) Easy Riders (middle of the road; non materialistic),
5) Dismayed Mechanics (need a jump start; something is missing in their life), and
6) Defensive Drivers (need help/assistance; live pay check to pay check).
He emphasized the need to increase comfort with what a brand stands for, with a focus on participation, motivation, resonance and relevance.
He cited several examples of different approaches companies currently use to increase comfort:
• Panera – creating comfort through quality
• Zappos – comfort through customer experience
• Fidelity – comfort through road to financial future
• Kellogg’s/Frosted Flakes – comfort through rituals/nostalgia
• Jet Blue – comfort via amenities.
here. Bonus: you will also have access to additional 2012 videos and the Market Research Event 2012 Executive Summary when you register.